Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Best laid plans...

So we're driving home from Bubbe and Grandpa's house this evening when Yoni brings up out of the blue that he wants to meet Santa Claus. Don't ask me where this came from?
Then he calmly mentions that "Jewish don't DO Christmas" as I plainly told him many times as we drove around looking at the "Merry Christmas lights" in December and watching all the Hallmarky goodness that are holiday time movies at the end of the year.
My question is: Why did he decide to remember all this right now at the end of Februaury?
Then he goes on to say that he has met Santa Claus at the North Pole and that it wasn't so cold. And that Santa had given him a lolipop, but not just any lolipop, a candy-corn shaped one that was filled with peanut butter. This from my child who is not super keen on sweets... What an imagination! I asked him if he could draw me a picture of that and he said SURE in all the beautiful tones of his innocence. Then he proceeded to hang his sister's pink and purple butterfly/flower blanket around his shoulders superhero cape style and took off running for the door. He won as usual by beating us to the upstairs door to the apt.



And another thing...
Sorry for taking so long to get back to blogging...Life somehow just keeps getting in the way.

Yaeli is "The Biter" in her class and she has left her indelible impression on a few of the other children, much to my chagrin. When they tell me she's biting, I give her a little more attention than usual and hope that those chompers will finally come through and stop tormenting her gums.... Sometimes a little extra TLC is all it takes.

It was president's day yesterday and BAC was closed as was my office (hooray, we didn't even have to think about who I was going to pawn the kids off on for the whole day - It was ME)
We took full advantage of the BEAUTIFUL almost spring day and went to 2 parks with the public library in between in hopes of calming down for an afternoon nap. Best Laid Plans....

The first park was quite nice until the first graders from Lovett had a picnic on the bleachers and then invaded our serene toddler friendly park.

So we went to the library (which worked so much better in my head than it did in reality) where Jonathan pulled so many books off the shelves that I thought the librarian was going to kill me on the spot. Yael was every bit a toddler and she promptly pooped 3 times in succession because I had no back-up wipes and then she was into everything and not wanting to sit still for the story I was trying to read aloud whilst the slight greasy gentleman in the back corner hid his glares from behind his laptop.


After the library we went to the grandparents' house for lunch and a quick diaper change (even though neither one of them was there) Yoni let the dogs out and they had a fun time chasing each other in and out the patio door through the curtain. Then we drew a snowman with different sized round objects and Yaeli and Mommy fell asleep watching Rachel Ray tell us about her favorite hot spots in New York and Chicago


We went back out to enjoy some more fun in the sun at the newly renovated BLUE park, as Yoni calls it, since the equipment there is a sun collecting magnet of dark blue and green. (the new improved Godwin Park with mud repellent, oh so soft wood chips on the ground under the equipment - whose bright iedea was that?) As my friend Miriam the Mommy puts it, here comes a honking BMA (Bad Mother Alert)
So of course Yaeli, probably the smallest kid out there, fell off the swing and got trampled at the park yesterday in front of all the other parents who were so shocked and offended they were frozen in time (or maybe they were just so glad it happened to someone else's child and they could live another day satisfied in the fact that they were perfect parents) Of course she was scared and rightly so. I had put her tummy side down on the big kids swing and dropped the stuffed dog I was holding for Yoni so I looked away for just that one critical second for her to fall off that swing and somehow roll under the feet of the kid who was on the swing next to her. He was probably 5 or 6 and he tried his best to stop so as not to kick her and gravity being what it was and the pendulum effect, his feet and her little head and body just managed to collide at full force.
SCREAMING ensued and I did my best to calm the other child so that he knew he wasn't in the wrong, meanwhile brushing her off and cradling her to my chest and picking wood chips out of her clothes and hair and the random piece or two that ended up in her mouth (dont think she swallowed any as there wasn't enough wind-up time between the time she started screaming for her to breathe and swallow)


And of course just becasue I wasn't having a bad enough time at the park, here it comes - another HUGE BMA - I kept losing Yoni - between all the other kids (and hovering adults), my split attention in keeping up with our acoutrements and keeping Yaeli out of harm's way-fearless little daredevil that she is- and all the great hiding places on the new playground equipment, I was just sure someone was going to make off with my perfect precious angel without me noticing and I was going to end up the subject of one of those awful made for daytime TV movies.....

I started the day out with a little headache that never actually went away and by the end of the day I had a full-blown major migriane that had me moaning in bed for a sip of water (even worse than my raging hormones on pitocin delivering Yoni) Thank you Eran for bringing me water to the bed, but next time spare me the accompanying Israeli dehydration lecture...Drink some water, its the Israeli band-aid cure for everything that ails you!

But we all survived -maybe a little worse for wear- and work was an unexpected haven today after I was hit with the harsh reality of being a stay at home mom - definitely not for me, but big kudos to those who do it, it's not easy. so much for my dreams of being a schoolteacher ...maybe with some practice I could really do some damage to some other people's kids.

On to other things...Yael was sent home early Friday with a case of kinim (Think Pesach seder). YUCK! Then the school called me again to come get Yoni too-same thing. And it was Eran's milestone 30th birthday and it was all kinds of ruined. He also got bsorot lo kol cach tovot - a childhood neighbor and father figure had finally lost his long battle with cancer (zochur l'tov). And then Macabbi Haifa lost their game today so he lost a bet and owes a friend a pizza...bkitzur, not a great week for my sweetie Eran - and his homesickiness is even worse than ever.

And just in case we weren't struggling enough with random stuff...Last year, BAC made a big deal that at a Jewish day school we don't celebrate Valentine's Day, since its not our holiday. This year, Yael got 3 valentines gifts and the two other kids that didn't bring "gifts" were two other 2nd generation deep-rooted Jewish kids whose parents knew better (myself, a Topek, and the granddaughter of one of the teachers at the school) AARGH!

Then of course there is the PM teacher that won't stop badgering me (and whoever comes to get my children-maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I had grandpa drop off the check for me at the office) for a late fee that I was unfairly charged and told by the office staff to forget about. This incident was over 3 weeks ago and it is still lingering despite supposed intervention by the vice principle. And this morning I made a right big mess of the interaction between the AM teacher and the other teachers and the principle over the whole kinim issue. Damned if you do and damned if you don't - I just want a few days away from all the politics and demands on me and my already thinly streched, finely orchestrated chaos. If I leave just right from my house I can drop everyone off in time to get to my office by 8:15 (which is still 15 minutes later than I want to be and more than an hour after everyone else - it seems -gets there) Then if I am not in the middle of something and can just drop everything at work and not get stopped along the way by chatting or traffic - I can just make it to the school to get the kids and let Quin go get her child on time. But then I have to tack on another hour in getting Eran and dropping off those STUPID (I really want to use a stronger word here but am trying to restrain myself) FEDEXES!!! But if I don't do it, then I don't see my darling husband till hours later as he feels obligated to run whatever errands his ride wants to run (sometimes including a stop for their dinner on the way home)

No comments: