Thursday, November 06, 2008

Nes Gadol Hiya....

Hanukah is on the horizon, but I am talking about a modern day miracle that happened to yours truly.
Here is the text to the email I sent out to my co-workers:

From: Brenda Namer
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 11:34 PM
To: OpsUsers
Subject: accident

On the way home from the office yesterday (Wednesday) I was in a major automobile accident and totaled my car. The accident happened in front of a fire station and they sent me to St. Luke's, in an ambulance on a back board and in a neck collar. I am thankful that I literally walked away from the accident unscathed, but spent the majority of the evening at the hospital getting checked out.
Thanks,
Brenda

What I didn't say to them because they don't need all the details is that I was alone in the car, my kids were already taken care of for the evening and the first responders at the fire station were able to reach Eran in an instant. I was seriously shaken up and incurred a few pretty multi-toned bruises, but thankfully no major damage was done (I had multiple x-rays and a doctor checked for internal injuries) and they discharged me pretty quick with a prescription for some pain killers. Some of the questions they ask you when admitting you while you are duct taped to a back board with a neck brace are downright scary. As you can see from the pictures, I was sure lucky to be able to walk away much, less unscathed.

I recall seeing the other car at the very last instant, but had no way to stop in time and I am 100% sure that I had a green light. He turned into my lane in front of me and I have a vague memory of seeing his Isuzu trooper in the parking lot of the fire station and him speaking with one of the other firemen while I was being treated.
Thank goodness it happened in front of a fire station, the best place it could have happened if it had to happen, and I was given treatment on the spot. I got out of the car on my own and walked across the street to the curb where they tended to me and my high blood pressure. They were able to call Eran and I was able to speak to him, but not enough to calm him down. I told him that I was walking, but that I was going to the hospital. He proceeded to yell at me that my cell phone was without battery, as it is perpetually broken, lost or not charged up. The first responder apparently spoke to him at least 4 times and kept him abreast of where I was headed.
They also had cones out and flares and started directing traffic to clear out the chaos almost immediately. I am lucky I didn't lose consciousness and other than being in a serious state of shock with my BP soaring, it was a sight to behold for all the onlookers, I'm sure.
I was wearing my seat belt and the air bag deployed but I truly think that HaShem was watching out for me on that fateful drive as I was contemplating some of the things I had discussed with my learning partner the night before. I only knew the airbag had deployed because of the smell and the wafting smoke that barely pervaded my consciousness at the time. In case anyone forgot, it was after a much similar event that my grandmother was involved in a car accident and was awake at the scene and passed away later in the hospital. And some of the thoughts that ran through my head were instantly about Eran and the kids. And earlier in the day, I was commenting that I felt like I was just beginning to feel truly comfortable with who I am professionally and personally.


"Carit Aveer" in Hebrew an airbag literally translates to "air pillow" - get it?

When we went to check out the car at the impound lot, it was one of the more impressive wreckages there. What used to be the front end was smushed up into the winsheild as you can see from some of these pics.
Maybe I should call Toyota and thank them for their feats of engineering that made me able to walk away from a such collision and offer to be a spokesman.
All of these heroes gave me a chance to re-examine my life and to be grateful for the friends and family that were able to help and give me a chance to live a more fulfilling life.




1 comment:

Miriam the Mommy said...

Oh, THAT's what happened! Wow. Wow. BARUCH HASHEM!! That's totally insane, but I'm so, so happy that HKB"H was watching out for you and you are FINE.

I'm sure you'll be bentching gomel on shabbos, no?

Totally nuts. Wow. So happy you are fine and well and love to everyone from us and my parents who are here. If the 'other guy's' insurance wants to kick in for some psychotherapy with an excellent shrink I know, maybe we can arrange a kick back... :)