Friday, June 19, 2009

I believe in moments. Like when you are running, and both feet leave the ground. Unsustainable. Impossible to capture. Transcendent.
-Anonymous author, Marie Claire magazine

Since I am on an excercise kick which is changing my life-I finally had the lightbulb moment-I found this quote quite intriguing. I could almost feel the air beneath my feet which were both planted on the ground in front of me under my desk when I read it.

Words can mean so much.

On that note I want to mention how I also realized some of my conscious or unconscious thoughts that I don't even share with my immediate family may be causing them unconscious harm. What I mean is like this - I think of my son as being smaller than other kids his age and might even refer to him - in thought - as a runt. That doesn't detract whatsoever from my infinite love for him and my joy in watching him grow. However, he may pick up on the fact that I think it is a problem. For example when he was on this year's baseball team, I voiced my concern over starting him in the league too early, despite the fact that some of the kids on his previous team were in the same league. About mid-way through the season, I realized that because he was a bit smaller, he might get an extra pat on the head or a little extra coaching - to his advantage. It was also ironic that the one friend that we were closest with was the oldest and tallest kid on the team. We made it throught the season and next year I will keep my qualms to myself.

No comments: