Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Loping Labradors

Best piece of advice I was given in a long time, today.  From the school clerk in the annex office (catering to the 6th-8th graders, I think) Our sixth graders are like labrador puppies. All arms and legs akimbo, and not quite grown into their bodies and pretty harmless all around. It made so much sense. And also try8ng to impress each other, the other sex, anyone who will pay attention...
Puberty must also be a journey.  Some days I get the little boy who wants to tell me everything about everything and why this kid said this and how he thinks he's so kewl and how this one is a snitch.
And other days I get the sullen one syllable wonder who gets mad at me for trying to draw conversation out of him by asking questions he considers an interrogation.
I'm never quite sure who will show up and when and why.
Some nights he begs for me to tuck him in or stay so he can fall asleep clinging to my anrm for comfort or security or who knows what.
His upper lip is now permanently dusted with a faint smattering of a dark shadow that will not go away no matter how much he scrubs at it. And who knew I would have to remind him to keep his hands out of his pants so much. His legs have sprouted darker hair so I'm sure it's coming in other places, but I haven't seen any rogue chest or armpit hairs. Also, his poor genes have not gotten the memo that he needs to get taller to go along with the other changes.
Hanging on to the last vestiges of the baby I once knew, cradled, cuddled, but also learning to let him become the man he sometimes wants to be. This roller coaster keeps on rolling and we get to keep on enjoying the ride.
My oldest boybie. Forever young in my mind. Capturing the best of these moments to savor forever. His guffaws and giggles from his room when he gets alternately mad and joyful playing video games with his dad and the admonition to "go easy" on his brothers which ultimately results in one of the littler ones crying about how he is "going hard" on them.
These are the soundtracks of our evening and it is amazing and frustrating all at the same time.

No comments: