Wednesday, January 13, 2010

another sigh of relief

Don'tcha hate it when you're waiting on test results and then they don't call. I'm talking about the 3 hour glucose tolerance test that I did on Monday after failing the 1 hour screening.

So you figure no news is good news, right?
So it's 3:41 and I'm waiting for the boss to leave at 4:00 when the phone rings.
Right away I see from the caller ID that it is the dr's office. Oh shit!
So I answer the phone despite my trepidation and once she verifies that it really is me she then tells me that "You passed! You passed with flying colors." I was so glad that when I hung up the phone I let out a loud Hallelujah that could be heard two floors down.

Which means that the first stupid hour long scan was not accurate (which I never did in Israel - I only did the 3 hour test or with Yael at all) Or it could be that I made sure to drink a lot of water and eat an orange every day before the 3 hour test. But in any case, I felt like a pin cushion, and the combination of no food and lots of calorieless sugar in my system made for a very yucky feeling all day long even after stuffing my face with lots of carbs and then some protein for lunch.

My favorite phlebotomist who usually is very gentle and I don't even feel the stick, was not so gentle that morning. The fasting poke also had to draw blood for my nuchal translucency test to check to see that all is progressing as it should be.

The fun part of that test was the UltraSound which I brought my mom along to see but they didn't let her back there. During that part of the test there was much movement and the babies look like babies already on the screen. One othe them wiped their brow and the other one had a hiccup and I could see their knees pressed up against the wall of the sac. And we have established a Baby A and Baby B and their positioned side by side rather than one on top of the other. And Dalia the tech who was wonderful was able to see their stomachs were full indicating swallowing already and that the heart rate was 161 for one and 165 for the other. Let the old wives tales arguing over the sex begin!

So glad I got the fun part out of the way early. Then I had to go back to the lab every hour and get more blood drawn. Usually they try to alternate arms, however my second arm was being uncooperative and the first stick hurt and didn't want to give any blood. The second one was also a dud, although it bled for a second after she removec the needle. So we went back tothe first arm and she drew from the same vein as before. And for the other 2 times as well. After the second draw I went up to the dr's office to check with the dr that all was ok and she had to rush off to deliver an emergency C-section and so was running VERY behind. I went back downstairs, had my blood drawn again and then went back to see the dr. Timing was perfect for me, at least 45 min behind for everyone else. She then sent me back to the lab with more blood tests to be done so it was good that we saw her when we did. My mom was there in the room and we cancelled out the fact that I won't have to have the BRAC screening as she has already done it and come back negative. One less blood panel for me to do! :)

3 comments:

Carlye said...

Glad things are going so well. Would love to see ultrasound pictures!!

brenda said...

The ones from the NT scan are pretty grainy and blurry but I will see if they will scan in sometime today or tomorrow

MOM said...

And it was a great day for all...
especially because we were in such a good mood. At least you won't have to do that test again.
MOM