Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kindergarten

So we made the big kindergarten decision regarding our girlie. You know that these decisions are monumental at the time and weigh heavily on your heart as you ponder all the pros and cons of what essentially boils down to a prelude to the 12 or more years of school that your child will endure. Of course in all our choosiness, I know in the depths of our depths that it is really JUST kindergarten and she won't be scarred for life if we made a good or a bad decision. Yael, sadly, will not be finishing her tenure at her current school and will be missing the final year with the graduation ceremony and all that entails. However, she is Yael and the class we are moving her to has an experienced teacher who can deal with many levels of school preparedness and all the Yaelness that is our strong-willed girlie. She has repeatedly complained throughout the year that she is tired of her school (she's been there since she was 2 and I really thought THIS was her final year there and not that she had yet another one to go because of her late birthday) She is already reading nicely and progressing on her math skills as well. It is really amazing the differences between boys and girls, and first and second children, and the depth of knowledge we have gained over the years.

[As an aside, I learned another thing about Jonathan's hospital stay just this week - at one point after it was pretty much all over, I had a case worker call and check on things. Apparently the case workers are reserved for more serious cases, not just your average hospital stay....so glad to have been cloaked in innocence about seriousness of the whole thing at the time]

So I am crossing my fingers that the Kindergarten teachers that are in place at the prospective school will continue in their tenure there. That way we will have made an educated choice about moving her to a situation where I feel she will benefit the most. I am just not convinced that another year of making felt watches and painting rainbows is the best place to be for her. She is excited to move along and more than ready for the transition I think. I will miss the pictures I get weekly from her teacher as I am convinced in my heart that she is one of the teacher's pets [don't know how she did it, but she wiggled her way into their hearts almost as much as mine, they are always singing her praises]

No comments: