Thursday, May 24, 2012

Translation please

I am usually pretty good at inferring what my little ones need, either by way of inference (pointing grunting smiling pulling, etc) or by osmosis - I just KNOW what they want....
But can someone please tell me what Ben's fascination with the word LIGHT is? And he points to the lights whether they are on or off or he wants to flip the switch or just to remind you that there are lights and who knows why else. Also he is fascinated with the word HOT. Can be used in the correct context as to the mug of coffee or the oven door, or when something once was hot when it came directly out of the oven, but he has yet to realize that it can cool down - I guess upon reflection that last one is a highly scientific concept to master, so I'll give him some credit for that I suppose.
And then there is Daniel's love for the Hebrew word Assur which literally means forbidden but can also mean dangerous. Once I caught him pulling on the light cord and reprimanded him with chesmal! which means electricity-implying that he could get a shock (which he did, once, I think - so it clearly made an impression) This was the word we used often at home to warn them away from things. So now he repeatedly points to the electrical outlets and shakes his finger and declares assur.  Why does he choose one word over the other and how did he get the cute finger wag to go along with it unless his beloved Ms Sari has told him that repeatedly in Hebrew at gan.
And why do my angels insist on poking their fingers into your eyes to identify them and into your mouth and ears and whatever. Do I poke my fingers in their eyes or do I just point to them? I don't think so - OK - so I get the nose thing, I do BEEP and Bonk their noses all the time and they have likely identified their nose as BEEP (but luckily not really, they do know it is a nose)

Ben continues to have his own language. Baby Dora was "Abey" today and Aya and Ama and Ando still stand as he identifies Yael, Mamma, and brotherYoni. Daniel is a little better with Mamma, Ayel, and Loni. Daniel will take a remote control and hold it to his ear and proclaim Hallo - just like an Israeli and Ben calls the remote Allat, because we call it a shalat in our house. I wonder what those munchkins call each other? I have yet to decipher that despite repeated attempts.

UPDATE:
I also realized that either I have a hearing problem, or my oldest mumbles. I had to ask him 3 times to moved his arm so I could see his mouth moving so I could understand what he was trying to tell me, That was of course at 9 o'clock at night (after his bedtime, when he is tired anyway) and he was facing the wall with his back to me. But on the other hand, if the TV is too loud it is also a problem for me - stimulation overload. Is that a real thing, cause I get it at large gatherings too.

No comments: