Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Growing Older

Since I know some of my readers are older adults, in fact old enough to be my parents, :) I will preface this post by reminding you that these are my thoughts about my journey and I am entitled to express them even if you just want to scoff, and that you may do so all you like in the comments section...

So it's official. My birthday is just around the corner (the one that I already thought I had a year ago) and I have gotten notice of my 20th high school reunion. When I went to the eye dr and complained about how difficult it seems to wear my long wear contact lenses lately, I got the first diagnosis that for some reason reminded me of my old age. She told me I had several factors including hormones and age that would lead her to see a diagnosis of "dry eye". For some reason that just screamed OLD AGE diagnosis and that my eyes are the first to show the signs of daily overuse and aging in my body :(

Then, just to drive the point home, last week when I was following along with some Bollywood dance routine in the living room with the twins (cute mental image, right) I heard a loud POP from my calf muscle and had to stop. It didn't hurt immediately, but I am nervous that it will tighten up. It is not 100% yet and I went to bootcamp the following Monday where we naturally focused on the lower body with squats, lunges, and hamstring curls, crunches and more. I am sore. The leg is a little twingey, but not painful, but I am scared that it will give out altogether without warning.
Google is not your friend in this situation. I did a quick search and found all these runners (which I do not consider myself to be) who suffered from this injury and had to sit our for a while. I can not afford to do this as I am afraid my metabolism will slow down (also from old age and hormones) and that I will forever be sentenced to gradually gaining weight instead of watching the scale numbers go in the other direction. Of course the fact that I am still addicted to sweets and carbs even considering the nutritional habits of the other members of my family, never enters the equation.
I intend to add exercise to my routine and then to slowly change my eating (again) for the better.
But the most important thing to continually remind myself, is that I can totally get off my lazy butt and play with the kids instead of sitting on the couch stuffing my face (especially late at night after they have all finally drifted off to dreamland)

Now I've ranted at myself and called myself names (old, lazy) and now I need to get back to the buisness of living my imperfect life and enjoying it rather than stressing over it!



No comments: