Thursday, December 29, 2005

Surgery Sucks!

But at least it's over.

I had my adenoidectomy

this morning and was home before lunch. Eran and Karen were there with me the whole time. Not going back to work till 2006 though!!! That's a fun thought. I did check my email, just to see what was there. And my "boss" who is not really my boss but who thinks she is (and everybody else's too) sent me emails - how annoying!

I was such a "chatty Kathy" when I came out of anesthesia. I don't even know what I was blathering on about. But I just felt I had a lot to say despite the sore throat. So I wouldn't shut up. Karen says that my voice is different and she noticed it immediately - like after 2 sentences. So, I'm thinking either she is supremely observant (and that may be the case because of her nursing profession) or the difference is VERY obvious. Eran didn't mention it, he just said something about me talking quieter now. And that may have something to do with the fact that we didn't speak Hebrew to each other all morning and him hearing me talk in English is a little strange to his ear anyway.

At least I get to take the happy pills over New Years, but no alcohol - shucky-darn :) [yes, I went there-laugh at it and move on]. The last time I had any alcohol was at my Office Party 2 weeks ago. And before that I can't remember the last time I had anything stronger than coffee to drink. So I over-indulged at the office party just a wee bit (ok-alot, we had an open bar - wouldn't you? I was still full from my lunch at the Hyatt so all I had to eat was a slice of decadent chocolate mousse cake. But I was one of MANY who over-imbibed, seems like part of the territory). Mom was still in the hospital (the initial visit) fresh after her surgery and I convinced someone to drive me from downtown to the medical center - mostly because I didn't want to wait for a bus downtown after dark. I was hung-over on Friday or maybe even still drunk (who has office parties on a Thursday anyway?) but I dragged myself into work, one of the many who were dragging that day. Then I was really sick, dehydrated mostly, on Saturday.

More about my current recovery to come in the next installments...

2 comments:

Carlye said...

Glad everything went well and you'll be back on your feet in no time. Enjoy the happy pills. Sam says you sound different too...guess I'll have to talk to you soon to see what I think.

brenda said...

Carlye says I sound different too. My friends at work say you can hear my voice. But I am concerned that I have an infection - I had a screaming match with my dad last week and felt that I hurt something. Then I remember the nurses telling me to look out for bad breath. I have been coughing up something tinged reddish brown and I can smell the inside of my head again - never a good sign.
I have my follow up appointment with the ENT on Monday - I held out till then, I can wait one more day.