Friday, January 27, 2006

Normalcy at last?

Eran is FINALLY home. It may have been less than a month but it sure felt like forever to me. I picked him up from the airport all by myself. And I parked in the right place, just by the elevator and it only cost $1. Give me a little credit next time please!!!

I went in to work thinking I'd spend a leisurely morning doing the last of my report because I worked hard on it yesterday afternoon. It kicked my butt today!!! Then I left the office around lunchtime for the "big" airport. No biggie, but I still have no sense of direction. Give me directions to follow and I am fine, but if there is a change in plans, I don't do contigency plans very well.

My friends went to lunch and I forgot that I asked them to get some ballons or something. As I was walking out the door they showed up with these bright mylar balloons (a yellow smiley face one and one that says "Welcom Back! We missed you!") which I took to the airport and waited with for Eran to arrive.

Then there was some confusion about which terminal they were coming into, but I was right all along. Gotta trust those instincts! Then I was afraid his Green Card wouldn't work through immigration and Customs - I was sweating it - then I finally saw him wheeling out his cart full of luggage - What a relief!

We went to drop off some things at the house before picking up Mr. J from the J. Eran was blocking the door when he walked into the classroom, so I didn't get to see the undoutably priceless expression on my son's face, but the joy and rapture was evident by the pitch and velocity of the squeal. And then the teacher (who shares my birthday) threw her arms around him (Eran, not the little one - he gets enough love from her all day, every day) and proclaimed her happiness at his return too.

Then we walked down the hallway to the All School Shabbat, which is not at all what I expected. The kids are all sitting around in a big circle singing songs with motions. And then of course there is challah and grape juice for everyone (we skedattled before that came about) So we stopped at my mom's house to drop off their gifts and then we came home.

Eran finally crashed around 5:30 and I took Yoni to Shabbat dinner at the house of some friends who live in the same complex as we do and who have two boys who are only slightly older than Yoni.

And that is exactly how I wanted to spend my half day off. With family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so awesome!!!
i'm glad eran finally made it home. there was a little bit of me that was worried that once he went back to israle that he might decide not to come back to the states. just kidding. i am glad that your life can finally get back to "normal".

Anonymous said...

"Normalcy"

After 7 months of chemo and not being able to plan ahead for anything, I have the urgent feeling to add "normalcy" to my life. I am a plan-ahead person and had planned 2 trips in my near future:


1. Feb 25,26,27,28 (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) to Mardi Gras in New Orleans 2006

2. A week in Branson, MO in June 2006 starting Fri the 23rd


Both trips have to be on certain dates
BUT! neither trip added that "normalcy" to my life. Both trips have major conflicts.

1. Son is coming to Austin/Houston Feb 22-24 and part of each weekend

2. PROJECT INFINITY [what I wanted to teach next year] (Robots with artificial intelligence) is being tuaght at the UofH only the week June 26-30.


So - once more "normalcy" is actually chaos.
I am leaning toward the trips.