Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ignorance really IS bliss...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatocele
I read this today when doing some research about something and I started to cry.
These things are what led my baby (OK so he's my oldest, but whatever) to have 1 then 2 chest tubes and ultimately lung surgery.
We pretty much early on had him tested for CF knowing that I was a carrier, but that Eran was not. Negative.
He also had a TB test in the hospital that was also negative.
Whatever caused these poor holes (I had been refering to them as pockets of air in my mind) in my baby was not very nice. And it took them lots of IV antibiotics and even some that had to be cleared by the CDC to get him better.
And he STILL had to have surgery.
Then the surgeon had the fortitude to blindside me with the news that it was NOT lung cancer when we went to his 6 week check up. I had no idea they were even considering this as an option or if it was just a routine test that they run when they have to take a tisse sample.
Um, I think I am glad to have been naive. And visibly pregnant at the time.
Isn't that always the case.
Thanks be to G-d for getting us all through it.
I guess I get sentimental around this time of year. His 6 week check up after the intial pneumonia was around Labor Day and the lung surgery was Sept 19. I always thought somehow that we would celebrate that day like another birthday - the day we got our little boy back.


No comments: