Monday, March 21, 2011

obstruction

Never a fun word to hear from a medical practioner and not one you want to hear in conjunction with bowel or any part of the human body that expells waste.
Thank goodness the one that we were concerned about in our extended family managed to find a way to work itself out, sparing the patient and all involved a nasty bout with surgery.
It is most obvious that she does not have the "pissy poor protoplasm" that plagues those of my blood relatives - wherein if there is to be a problem to be found, we will rewrite the book on it.
For example, with Jonathan the moment they brought up surgery as a final option, I started wondering how long it would be till we did that and after about 2 weeks, I started to get antsy to get on with it already so we could get on with our lives.
Funny that it may be, I ran into his pulmonologist just yesterday at our ourdoor block party, who re-admitted him to the hospital after the intial pneumonia. She wanted to know where he was (just so she could keep tabs on him I'm sure) and being the wonderful mother that I am I answered "I dunno"
You see I was late in arriving to the party after my nap and redressing the twins.
So I really had no idea, but it was likely that he was jumping around in the bounce house or climbing the rock wall or otherwise enjoying himself in the spring weather.
So you see, when I overheard the flamboyant XRay tech (who explained everything on Jonathan's films to me-and even got a dig in at the original dr about using a smaller tube rather than a more effective one-this was my favorite tech for sure!) nonchalantly chat about my son's case with the surgeon outside the elevator after it was all over, in one of those medical term kinda ways...you know that it is obvious that Jonathan, just like his grandmother and his great grandmother and his mother before him, re-wrote the manual on how his body works.
They told me to expect him to be intubated in recovery, he was not and his oxygen levels barely ever dipped below 90 even with the "obstruction"
Here's a hearty Hooray that the current obstruction was able to mostly work itself out and that we won't have any more of that anytime soon.
And its a good thing our ppp isn't catchy. My mother's best friend had a 7 cm obstruction removed from her nether regions. The prognosis on the biopsies was not good, but my mom is going in for some hand holding and meetings with doctors in the next few weeks since she understands the lingo and the severity of the situation much better than the one who is going through it. Not a good year for that family as the patriarch shattered his hip in a fall on a slick porch stair.
Guess these things come in 3s and now we're done!

No comments: