Thursday, February 01, 2007

Just when you thought it was safe...

Some of the initial shell shock has passed (finally) and we are all moving on.

Today, the lady they hired to do my job while I was out submitted her resignation.
I'm thinking she has to be aware that she was not doing a great job, and was causing problems for others. Plus she just never really ever got it to work smoothly.

Apparently, she found some other job that is doing more along the lines of what she was doing before and much more in her comfort zone as well as getting the chance to go to the deep water rigs (which I could never or would never do because of the time constraints and my small children)

My boss had asked me to step into a meeting to make sure I am trained on our ever changing software database. A few minutes later he busted in with her letter in hand which he flashed and then quipped "You're not planning on going anywhere are you? cause you're the drilling reports girl now."

And earlier in the day my favorite one of the management eschelon, the one I finally went to with all this mess originally, casually asked how I was hanging in there and then cautioned, "you gotta be careful what you wish for"

Again, I have to wonder about the mysterious turn of events and the way things pan out. When I was working at Kenes in Tel Aviv, right before I moved to Jerusalem and left the position, they were working on building a new database software. I really enojyed that troubleshooting and input and that I was able to help make it a better system. I even considered that as a possible career route, but didn't know how to get into that area. And now, I am basically doing the same sort of end-user bug fixing and trouble shooting.

And I have also picked up the AFEs that I have been complaining about not receiving all along in order to get the big picture about the projects. When I came in this morning, there were a few on my chair waiting for me. Luckily, I already have some experience with the tools used in tracking these things otherwise I would totally be lost. And the few AFEs I have seen DO have all the information I would have needed to be totally independent of this crazy woman all along.

So now is my chance to shine - I just hope I can step up to the challenge of learning all these new aspects of my "new" job and hold it all together with my family life.

The next few months should be an interesting roller-coaster ride. We have the all-important 3rd birthday where Yoni will get his first haircut and since we have been to all these other parties lately, I want to throw a bash for my kid and reap all the fun (and presents) to be had. But that takes planning and finding the time to make it all happen. Plus, my brother is hitting a milestone birthday in March so I need to do something special for him too. And of course Eran's birthday and Valentines Day (its still fun to give presents even if we don't really celebrate the holiday - I already got mine, a beautiful heart shaped white gold and diamond pendant necklace from Eran)

And the biggest of excitement of all ... we are finally moving to a larger apartment with a second bathroom and a wet bar which basically affords us another two sinks and vanity mirrors. Again, in my life I never manage to do anything half-assed. Whenerver there are major changes, the changes are usually to all aspects.

Stay tuned for more on the continuing saga of "As Brenda's World Turns"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"cause you're the drilling reports girl now." !!! NO WAY!!!You need to print a new job title that says-DRILLING EXECUTIVE INFORMATION -- How can I help you? I am in the know when it come to drilling!
Love,
MOM