Friday, February 09, 2007

Reap what you sow

So after doing my job and the one who left’s job and fixing the one who is about to leave’s mistakes, I am officially “under the weather” - cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle. I had a serious sinus attack earlier this week after throwing my back out somehow over the weekend.

Yoni has a barking cough where he sounds like a baby seal, but he hasn't thrown up from it so far and he doesn't seem to be particularly lethargic or running a fever. Now Yael is a little congested as well and therefore never completely finishes a feeding - she kept me up nursing for hours last night!!!

Also, I am completely convinced that the whole attitude of the former employee should be construed as “Tom Sawyer Syndrome”.
After finally receiving all the materials she had been getting all along, it turns out that the whole thing is just finding the correct information and plugging in the right info in the right spot – pure data entry.
And she compiled books for distribution around to the different higher-ups and drilling folks out on the rigs. Well in that case it is purely a case of Administrative duties – any monkey can print out documents and make a bunch of copies and punch holes and print dividers. The real work in compiling all the information contained in those books and set-up materials is done by a more highly paid engineer.
So now, fielding the phone calls and emails from the field and our partners, and directly dealing with the software folks is the main challenge of that part of “her” former job.

The other girl is doing the job I was doing before I left, well she can’t seem to get any part of it perfectly down.
I am constantly checking her and finding all kinds of mistakes – leaving things out, putting things in the wrong place, etc. I really think I can do a great job in this as far as you have to keep track of lots of different details and that is the biggest challenge. The most difficult part is more time consuming – it is the printing and filing things away.

So really, all along being responsible for the daily report seems to be the challenging part of this position and it is one I was handling quite well all along (except for the filing papers part – the electronic filing was no biggie as it kept me straight as to what I was doing and where I was.

No comments: