Sunday, November 04, 2012

trigger foods and playdate

bit of a flare today after I took the older kids to a restaurant E is not keen on.
I got pecan crusted chicken which would have been fine except that it was super fried. Deep fried food = no bueno for my fragile system. I started by dividing it into 3 portions since we all were sharing. So I had less than a third of a cutlet (Jonathan really enjoyed it and I took some home too)
Also cauliflower was in the vegetable medley. I feel like that was also a big factor since I have had green beans and summer squash and zucchini before and never noticed a problem.

So now I will monitor my intake a little closer and stay away from fried foods and cauliflower and raw tomatoes with seeds.

I kinda wish I could convince my system that candy and icing and chocolate were trigger foods too. I would miss the junk, but my figure would be a lot better off. Feeling bloated again after the emergency bathroom episode whereas just a few days ago I was feeling svelte and full of energy for the first time in a long time. I even played on the floor with the littles and had plenty of energy to do silly dancing in the kitchen just because. I might have to return to the dry popcorn and pretzels that I know are easy for my system to digest.

Wonder how much the inadvertent stress really plays a part.

We had a marathon play date that just wouldn't end. Yael wanted to have her friend over so at 7:30 I was texting the mother to see when they would be coming. Then there was the mad dash to clean the house (even more than it already was) Y's friend came over for our first ever play date at our house. She came with her 4 year old sister and their mother who brought her almost 6 month old twins to stay for the duration. It really all went ok for the most part. We had a little art project to do, they played with the markers and glitter and nail polish, made lots of heart pictures, played dress up and dolls, typical play date stuff. And because we already had a full house of little girls, somehow the neighbor girl ended up coming over as well. The more the merrier, I guess.
Then we decided to make lunch (for 6 hungry kids) and just about the time when they thought to get ready to leave since dad was coming in from an out of town job, a huge thunderstorm blew through. No way was I letting her take her babies out in the blowing rain, so I pulled out a brownie mix and even found a way to make it so that each of the girls got to help. And they all licked their spoons and got a finger-full from the mixing bowl too. Brownies to the rescue and I dusted them with powdered sugar just for effect.

After lunch today, over which we lingered, I decided to take the kids up to my office so I could finish up some last minute stuff I didn't get to last week and that I wouldn't be able to do on Monday since I had planned to be home with the kids who are all out of school for a teacher in-service. Also wanted to take Jonathan for a haircut and maybe one for myself, and especially to get him some jeans or other pants since he was wearing some ridiculous hammer-pants looking pajama-like thing.

No comments: