Monday, November 12, 2012

Tzeva Adom

Watch this video. How far could you get in 15-20 seconds if your life depended on it?
Tzeva Adom

Nov 12: I am thankful that we are not raising our children in the Southern part of Israel where it is raining rockets daily right now. Or that just when a particular flare up dies down, then you just live in fear of when the next one will come. I guess it's a lot like living with my stomach issues. Just when I think things are better, then they go an get bad again, but I digress.

I am thankful that my toddlers do not need to be comforted by adult nannies who are scared themselves and that the magic of a popsicle might NOT make it all better.
I am thankful that my older children were able to enjoy a 2 hour concert outside this week, unfettered and without the fear of needing to run for their lives to the nearest shelter so that they would be safe if a rocket fell in their vicinity.

My heart is heavy with the thought that one of the reasons these people choose to live in this area is because it is relatively cheap. If you extrapolate that out, it means that these people likely do not make much money to begin with and then are faced with the consequence of living farther away from the center of the country.

I wonder if I would be brave and stand to make sure others who needed assistance (kids and the elderly) would get there in time, or would I run like hell to get myself to safety. Would I be able to clamor up enough strength to carry my babies or would I forever leave them in a stroller so that I could easily push them to safety (not that they would be having any of that - they don't know how to sit in the stroller anymore.)

Interesting food for thought.
And when we do eventually move to Israel you can rest assured that we wouldn't move to the south.
It's mostly desert and really E couldn't handle the constant heat - even if it IS that much cheaper cost of living-wise.

No comments: